Dave Evans' Seed Offer, selling plants, etc

From: Steve Alton (S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 01:54:28 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:54:28 +0100
From: "Steve Alton" <S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Dave Evans' Seed Offer, selling plants, etc

Dear Dave (and rest of list)

> Hi Steve,
>
> I was wondering if you were gonna take me up on that offer
> of seed...
>

> Dave Evans
Yes - I was hoping to, and had got as far as writing adresses on
envelopes. Problem - how do I pre-pay the return envelope, so Dave
doesn't have to put stamps on it? Can I put UK stamps on?
Anybody more cosmopolitan than me do this sort of thing regularly?

Whilst I have crawled out of my hole, this business about "selling"
plants is all getting a bit silly. I enjoy seeing what people have got
to offer, and whilst large-scale commercial selling of plants would
be stretching the purpose of this list, exchange of material between
enthusiasts should, surely, be an acceptable use? Purely from a
conservation standpoint, disseminating material must be better
than throwing plants away?

So, I unashamedly declare that I have recently divided all my
Sarracenias and have a number of species and hybrids (of my own
devising, many of them parented by the lovely S. flava Maxima),
available for exchange. So there! And I'm OK for spider plants,
before anybody offers ;-)

Steve Alton
UK Co-ordinator - Millennium Seed Bank
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew