Re: Georgia

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 09:47:55 PDT

Date:          Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:47:55
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Georgia

Dear Joseph,

> I'm gonna ask for those experienced world travelers/cp'ers
> to lay some of that wisdom down. I'm going to Georgia (south of
> Ukraine north of Azerbaijan, smack dab in the middle of the
> Caucaus Range. What should I look for (besides being careful) and
> where. I'll start in Tbilisi and go from there.

If you will be sufficiently lucky, you will find _P. balcanica subsp.
pontica_, a blue-flowered butterwort growing in wet places (alpine
meadows, wet rock surfaces) mostly above the timberline in the
mountains, on limestone, serpentinic rock, etc. You should keep an
eye open for the white- flowered _P. alpina_ (it can be distinguished
from white forms of _P. balc. pont._ by a yellow spot in the corolla
tube and by a shorter spur), which grows in similar situations but
has so far not been recorded for the Caucasus range.

Kind regards
Jan