Sarracenia Purpurea ssp. Purpurea/Venosa

From: chris (drosera@CAM.ORG)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 07:04:52 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:04:52 -0400
From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Purpurea ssp. Purpurea/Venosa

A couple of years ago, I acquired some seed for S. Purpurea ssp.
Venosa. They are finally maturing. A book I have says that Venosa
is supposed to be pubescent(little hairs?). The only difference I
see between this and ss. Purpurea is that the mouth of the pitcher
is more "flattened". Are my new plants indeed ssp. Venosa or not?

Also just out of curiosity, why isn't S. Psittacina taxonimacally
more closely related to Darlingtonia? I realize a lot more goes
into defining a species than just how it looks, but on the surface,
to me, S. Psittacina sure has similarities to Darlingtonia.

Chris F.

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]