re: Red VFT Differences

From: Jay Lechtman (JayL@nexus-sap.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 13:29:42 PDT

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 16:29:42 -0400
From: "Jay Lechtman" <JayL@nexus-sap.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Red VFT Differences

>Could someone explain to me the difference between Akui Red
>(spelling?), Red Dragon, Royal Red, etc? varieties of VFTs? Are
>they the same or not? How does one differentiate them?

'Akai Ryu' is Japanese for 'Red Dragon'. The two names equal the
same plant, a cultivar from the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I find
(from my own very unscientific observations) that:

'Akai Ryu' is a deeper purple in color than 'Royal Red' (a
Dingley/Triffid Park cultivar). 'Akai Ryu' also tends towards green
trap and petiole margins, even in strong sunlight.

My 'Royal Red' is a blood red in color, and entirely-colored. It
has been a much slower grower for me than Red Dragon, but in my
(humble) opinion, a much more attractive plant.

Jay Lechtman (jay.lechtman@ingenix.com) Ashburn, VA, USA