Re: Hardy bog species

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 20:00:25 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:00:25 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy bog species

<< I have convinced my horticulture professor to let me build a CP Bog garden
 as part of the expanding school Arboretum. I already plan to plant every
 concievable Sarracenia, Dionaea, and some Cephalotus. What I need help
 with is finding temperate Drosera that will grow here. We are in East
 Texas zones 7-8. We get freezes down to 20F from time to time in winter,
 but the average winter temps are in the 40s and high 30s. Which Drosera
 species will grow perennial in this climate?

 Robertivore

Dear Robert,

     Can't say for certain but I think D. rotundifolia, intermedia,
filiformis, tracyi (filiformis v. tracyi), capillaris, most forms of binata
and maybe capensis should do well. We are a bit warmer here with average
lows around freezing for a few night a year and many of these plants can have
the soil freeze solid with no harm (but some species look really bad until
spring growth resumes). I am not sure Cephalotus will make it down to 20
degress F. but during the winter a mulch of pine needles will help protect
the more tender species. Some of the southeastern Pinguicula like P. lutea
should do ok also and there are also some nice bog orchids like Spiranthes
which add interest.

Cliff