florescent tubes

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Sat May 29 1999 - 11:55:06 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 14:55:06 EDT
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: florescent tubes

Regarding Matt's question on florescent tubes, I have been growing plants
under artificial light since the early 70's and have found that for my money
the best choice is Duro-Test's Vita-Lites 4 foot tubes alone or alternated 1
: 1 with Sylvania's Gro-Lux Wide Spectrum ; both of these are full spectrum
tubes and full spectrum light seems to bring out the response of producing
shorter thicker leaves with more red and purple pigments in my CP ( I grow
mostly Nepenthes with a few Cephalotus, Drosera, VFT, and the odd Sarracenia
). I use Duro-Test's Vita-Lites 4 foot tubes alone or alternated 1 : 1 with
Sylvania's Gro-Lux Wide Spectrum ; both of these are full spectrum tubes and
full spectrum light seems to bring out the response of producing shorter
thicker leaves with more red and purple pigments. Vita-Lites also last for
over 2 years in normal use meaning there is less pollution with dead tubes.
You can also get good results with much less expensive 1 : 1 mix of cool
white and warm white tubes, but the color of these bulbs is icky and it makes
your skin look horrifyingly bad. I try to keep the tops of the plants within
6" of the tubes. Give each plant plenty of room so its not being shaded by
its neighbor's leaves; try to maintain a civilized jungle. To a certain
degree, plants can make up for light of lower intensity with light of longer
duration - since N. are not photoperiod-sensitive, I keep them under an
artificial day of 16 or 18 hrs. I have a ventilation system that results in a
significant temperature drop during their short night. This is much more
important for highland species, but doesn't seem to bother the lowlanders too
much either ). Vita-Lites have a color that is easier on the eyes,and also
last for over 2 years in normal use, meaning there is less pollution with
dead tubes. You can also get good results with much less expensive 1 : 1 mix
of cool white and warm white tubes, but the color of these bulbs is icky and
it makes your skin look horrifyingly bad. Warm white:Cool whites should be
replaced every eight months or sooner before they go dim as their light
output diminishes quickly. Vita-lites are guaranteed to have at least 90
percent of their output after two years.
I try to keep the tops of the plants within 6" of the tubes. I use four or
six tubes for each two feet of growing area ( in width ). Light drops off
very quickly as you increase the distance from the source, so kee the plants
close to the lights.
To a certain degree, plants can make up for light of lower intensity ( like
florescents ) with light of longer duration - since Nepenthes are not
photoperiod-sensitive, I keep them under an artificial day of 16 or 18 hrs. I
have a ventilation system that results in a significant temperature drop
during their short night. This is much more important for highland species,
but doesn't seem to bother the lowlanders too much either, and the other
species haven't complained to date.
I hope this provides some help.
Good growing
David