Re: Fluorescent Lights

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 09:07:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:07:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fluorescent Lights

Hi Matt,

        The main difference is the spectral composition of the different
lights. The cool and warm whites are more in the blue range, the grow
lights emit in both the blue and red ranges. The blue is used primarily
for growth, the red for flowering. That's why you sometimes find
fluorescent fixutures designed for growing plants also have a space for an
incandescent light which is very rich in red.

        I use a combination of cool and grow lights, and the plants seem
happy!

Happy growing,

Chris

 On Fri, 28 May 1999, Sundew Sundew wrote:

> Upon a friends suggestion, I decided to make a few changes to my 4-tube
> fluorescent lighting rigs - I changed what I thought were cool white tubes
> but turned out to in fact be warm white "bathroom and kitchen" bulbs and
> replaced them with 2 cool white, 1 warm white and 1 "plant and aquarium"
> bulb. I'm wondering what others are using. Years ago, I recall hearing
> from several sources that plain cool white provided an adequate enough
> spectrum for most CP and I've had great results with both only cool white
> and only warm white My guess is I'll get more flowering and better growth
> with a combination? Thoughts? Opinions?
>
> Thanks!
> Matt
> NY