terrariums & Questions: Pings & book wanted

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 17:04:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:04:44 -0500
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: terrariums & Questions: Pings & book wanted

Hey Listmembers!

I grow all of my plants in terrariums. I'm currently growing VFT's, two
types of sundews that I can't identify, N. madagascariensis, N.
bicalcurata, and an unitdentified Ping. I live in the Northwest corner
of Louisiana, USA, and I've never tried to grow any of my plants
outside. My VFT's are blooming as are one one of the sundews and the
Ping. My Neps are growing like wildfire, but my N. madagascariensis
isn't producing lower pitchers. All of the pitchers produced so far
have the openings pointed away from the tendril, so I am under the
assumption that they are upper pitchers.

I picked up my Ping from Lowe's. It is one of those little 3" tissue
culture jobs. It's blooming but I can't identify it. To me, the flower
was reminiscent of an iris, violet-blue in color with a yellow throat.
The rosette is about 2" (5 cm) across. Any identification clues? Also,
it has recently began to produce plantlets along the leaves. Should I
leave them on for good, or can I break them off and pot them when they
get some size on them? I have no clue what to do.

Finally, does anyone have a copy of _Carnivorous Plants of the World_
by James and Patricia Pietropaolo that they would like to sell? Contact
me privately if you do.

Thanks for all the help. There's lots of good information that comes
from the list. I learn something everyday!

Will
wgorum@softdisk.com
If you can, in this life, help others; if you can't, don't hurt them.
-Hare Krishna