RE: Germinating Darlingtonia

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 05:26:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:26:13 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Germinating Darlingtonia

>unfortunately I am not able to germinate Darlingtonia. I tried several
methods
>discussed on this list earlier like stratification (24 h fridge/freezer)and

>several mediums like pure peat, NZ-sphagnum and paper towels resulting all
in
>none germination.
>Please can any of you tell me a way to be successful? Would GAB3 be a
reasonable
>method?

Hi Stefan,

I think the freshness of the seed has a lot to do with whether or not
Darlingtonia will germinate. I tried seed from several sources at the same
time under the same conditions and some germinated while others didn't. I
suggest two methods: Sowing on top of 1:1 milled sphagnum/sand under
fluorescent lights and sowing on the same medium but putting the pots in a
plastic bag and overwintering outside, provided you live in a temperate
climate. Both methods have worked for me here in Atlanta. You shouldn't
need GAB3 to germinate Darlingtonia.

The timing on when you get your seed may be critical. If you get seed from
a seed bank, it has probably sat there for a while. I'd try overwintering
in a plastic bag on those seed unless you are sure it is fresh (just a few
months old) seed. If you get seed from a list member, request newly
harvested seed and look at the hemisphere they're in. Fresh seed in N.
American and Europe is around July or August. Fresh seed from Oz and NZ is
what, January? Sow that seed immediately and you should get germination
within a few weeks.

David