bioluminescence

From: Richard Jobson (r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 20:07:10 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:07:10 +1000
From: "Richard Jobson" <r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: bioluminescence

Hi Jack,
In regard to the bioluminescence question, I know of a study by
Joel, Juniper and Dafni - "Ultraviolet Patterns in Traps of
Carnivorous Plants" New Phytologist 1985, Vol 101, p. 585-593.
These attractive patterns are based on both u.v.-absorption by the
plant surface and nectar or pools of digestive secretion, in certain
carnivorous plants. These patterns are probably orientation cues for
insects, similar to patterns shown by many flower to attract
pollinators. The patterns were found on the traps of Heliampora,
Drosophyllum, Dionaea and Pinguicula. They conclude that the
pattern of u.v. is another device which may play a role in attraction
of prey.
So I guess if they had bioluminescence as well, they would be
continually eating with no time to rest and play.
Richard Jobson.