Carnivorous orchid in Garden Design

From: John Green (hpjgreen@ihc.com)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 07:33:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:33:13 -0600
From: "John Green" <hpjgreen@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Carnivorous orchid in Garden Design

There's a very small article in the June/July 1999 issue of Garden
Design (pg. 27) that says a carnivorous orchid has been found. Just a
note, its probably a coincidence that two issues in a row have mentioned
CP. The magazine is beautiful but not usually very informative, IMO
(long on style, short on substance). Even still, I sent them an e-mail
suggesting they visit California Carnivores for a good story (I hope
Peter & Marilee don't mind). Here is the article in its entirety:

"Plant Food"
Corsage material? Hardly. The first known carnivorous orchid has been
discovered on a remote Venezuelan mountain. The 2-inch-tall plant,
_Aracamunia liesneri_, was found in 1987, but only last year did
orchidologist German Carnevali publish a paper reporting that sticky
structures found on the leaves are probably used to trap and digest
small insects such as fruit flies. Wear this orchid to your next patio
party and turn off the bug zapper. --- Julia Morrill

Any knowledge or comments on this new species, Jan, Fernando, etc.?

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah