RE: Black Leaf tips on tall Drosera

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 07:14:12 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:14:12 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Black Leaf tips on tall Drosera

Hi Chris,

> On the subject of D. Binata and D. Filliformis having black leaf
> tips, I live on the outskirts of Montral, Canada. I grow both
> species in milled Peat moss, with living peat moss spread on top.
> The leaves of both species start out nicely enough when they are
> developping, but once they are fully grown, that's when they
> usually turn black. I always keep them in a terrarium of some
> sort. When I put the plants outside they do tend to get direct
> sunlight for a about 3 or 4 hours, so I thought it might have been
> a heat build up, but the same thing happens inside when grown on a
> windowsill or under 2 fluorescent tubes.

I have several binata growing in 1:1 sand/peat under fluorescent lights on a
screened in porch that's enclosed with plastic during winter. Their growth
slowed in winter but didn't stop and the nights for several months
frequently got down in the 50's F. None of the leaves turned black. The
plants often could not keep some leaves erect, probably because the light
level was too low. This seems to improve in the summer under lights but
doesn't go away completely.

The ones I have growing outside in direct sun for about 5 to 6 hours a day
have strong, sturdy, erect leaves. The sun in Atlanta is much different
than sun in Montreal so you would need longer exposures to sun to compensate
for the difference. My binata do well in spring, summer, and fall so they
can handle low temperatures. They die back in winter when it freezes and
return in the spring from roots.

My advice is to grow them in 1:1 peat/sand and for indoor plants put them as
close to the fluorescent light as possible and give them 14 hours of light.
For those outdoors, grow them in 1:1 peat/sand and give them more direct
sun.

Good luck,
David
Atlanta