Re: Pitcher Plants

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 20:53:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 19 May 99 23:53 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pitcher Plants

Dear Amy,

> Hi, I got some Purple pitcher plants in the mail and,
> of course, they have no water in them. I've had them a
> few days, but there is still no water in them. I read
> that they do not get most of their water from rain,
> but by sucking it up from their roots. Will they
> eventually fill up? I really need to figure this out!

   S.purpurea is a bit different from it's close relatives.
This one does need some water added to it's leaves.
   When the leaves first grow on any pitcher plant, there is
some water in them when they open. However, if you turn the
plant over and the liquid inside pours out, you will help the
plant out by adding some water back once it's been repotted.
Don't fill them up, just add enough water so the bottom 1/8
of the pitcher is full.
   You were asking about _S.purpurea_ though. This one is
designed to catch rain so you can fill the older pitchers up
with water to help it adjust after a transplant.
   Once the plant starts growing new leaves, don't bother
filling these new leaves, these should be creating their own
liquid for catching and eating bugs.

Dave Evans