Re: U. minor

From: Mybog@aol.com
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 21:00:18 PDT

Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 00:00:18 EDT
From: Mybog@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. minor

 Hello,

 I was wondering if anybody grows Utricularia minor.
 In the wild it seems to like semi-aquatic conditions, growing among
 waterlogged mosses.

I haven't tried it but suppose it ought to grow just fine--if you keep it
cool.
In its native mountain or high latitude habitat of typically shallow water
(meadows, fens, bogs) it rarely sees temperatures above 60 F.

 I've tried growing it in very wet Sphagnum, but without great results.

Perhaps too acidic, check the ph.

 On the other hand, it doesn't like growing in open water: it survives, but
 it has a very weak appearence.

Yes, often it is found as an epiphyte upon itself or other aquatic vegetation
(often with U. intermedia, U. ochroleuca/U. macrorhiza). Usually if you find
an open body of water in the Western US it will be on the edges somewhere. If
you find a fen/bog look for the Drosera anglica and then the U. minor at the
base of these plants.

More questions?...try CPS of the West Volume II: California, Oregon,
Washington.

Hawk