RE: Cephalotus pollination--

From: Brewer Charles E PHDN (brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 13:26:23 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:26:23 -0400
From: Brewer Charles E PHDN <brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Cephalotus pollination--

> Gary Kong
>
> BTW, the clone I received from Charles Brewer shows no signs of
> flowering. But with its incredible lateral growth and profusion of
> growth points (it's such a Gordian knot of creeping leaves, it's
> impossible to count them), who needs flowers and seeds? I need a bigger
> pot!
         Gary,
         I did some experimenting about a year and a half ago with about a
dozen Cephs. Your plant being one. All clones were from the same plant.
During my experimenting, several plants showed remarkable growth in leaf and
pitcher development. This growth did not interfere with flowering formation,
if anything it seemed to enhanced the development of the flower spike. I
thought this effort would be short lived and growth would go back to normal.
Obvious I was wrong. My intent was to produce more pitchers and leaves and a
nice flower spike for that year, but the rhizome must have storied more
energy then I had expected. I probably need to slow down on the One-A-day
vitamins I gave them.
        Charles Brewer
        Va. Beach, Va.