Re: D. columbiana and D. fulva

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 02:46:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:46:49 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. columbiana and D. fulva

Dear A.J.,

> Subject: D. columbiana and D. fulva
> Does anyone know anything about these 2 species? I searched the list, but
> found no references to Drosera columbiana

Try "col*o*mbiana". Probably the plant (or seed) is not from Colombia
but from Brazil, collected by Fernando Rivadavia (hi, Fernando!). The
plants from Brazil have been described as _D. pumila_ but are
probably conspecific with the Colombian taxon.

> and only a couple to D. fulva. I
> also had a quick look at Cambrian Carnivores notes web pages and the CP
> database, but found little info. there either.

What are you looking for, specifically?

> What sort of Droseras are they

_D. colombiana_ belongs to subgenus Drosera (styles 3
 basally bifurcate, seeds ovoid). Its leaves are in a basal rosette.
The scapes and sepals are glandless hairy.

_D. fulva_ belongs to subgen. Lasiocephala (styles 3 repeatedly
divided above base, seeds ovoid). The leaves are in a basal rosette.
They have distinct petioles. The whole plant is eglandular pilose and
distinguished only in minor (and apparently quite variable)
characteristics from _D. petiolaris s. str._, with which it has been
united in the past.

>, and how should I propogate them?

Seeds should work for both.

Kind regards