Re: Sarracenia double flowered varieties

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 17:30:10 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 20:30:10 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia double flowered varieties

<<
 Regards

 Nathan J. Clemens

 P.s What is the status of the S. leucophylla cv tarnock, or any other
 double flowered sarras?

     Currently I believe Atlanta Botanic Gardens and/or Ron Gagliardo is
working on S. leuco. cv. 'Tarnak' (? spelling) and I think it will be
available within a year or so.

    The only other double flowered species I have seen photos of is a S.
purpurea (venosa, I think) that Bill Scholl took some photos of. He had
presented the photo at one of the Atlanta CP meetings. I don't know of its
current status.

     It is my understanding these plants are sterile with incomplete flowers
and can only be propagated by division or getting a piece of rhizome clean
for tissue culture.

Cliff