Bog Gardens and Free Mineral-free water source....

From: Joe Harden (jharden@txdirect.net)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 11:27:01 PDT

Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 13:27:01 -0500
From: "Joe Harden" <jharden@txdirect.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bog Gardens and Free Mineral-free water source....

Hello all, I haven't said much here in the past months... so I'm overdue.

The other day I was at Home Depot, and they started carrying Whisky Barrels
(They still reek of Whisky) and next to them, they had Full size and half
size whisky barrel Lines.... Well, if you want a quickie Bog Garden with
minimum of effort, I think this will work. I filled the half size liner
with spagnum, peat, orchid bark, and about 6 VFT's, 2 Sar. purpurea, and 1
Nepenthes gracilis (I don't think it will make it in San Antonio, Texas, but
anything is worth a shot). They have a variety of other water garden tubs
there, than can easily work for bog gardening also....
Anyway, I was going to get antother whisky liner, but I have no plants. I
can buy a box of VFT's from Gubler Orchids no problem, but I was wondering
if there is anyone else that wholesales CP's? If anyone knows, please email
me, I'm intereseted in a better variety than VFTs (their Nepenthes and
Drosera won't work for me here)

For anyone else that is about to brave the summer heat, your air conditioner
is the best source of pure clean water. Last year, I filled a 200 gallon
tank within one and a half weeks from the AC condenstation! Keep that in
mind if you want to fill a bog but don't have a clean source of water....its
slow, but its FREE!

Joe Harden