Re: U. calycifida, epiphyte or terrestrial?

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 09:35:08 PDT

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. calycifida, epiphyte or terrestrial?

Hi John,

> I noticed in Slack's book that he lists U. calycifida as epiphytic,
> while Peter's book lists it as terrestrial. I have been growing mine as
> a terrestrial, and it seems to be growing very slowly, producing mostly
> tiny leaves rather than the larger, veined ones. It's also growing in a
> undrained container that's probably a bit on the small side. The soil
> is 1:1 peat/sand mix. Should I be growing this plant in a more
> epiphytic mix? Any suggestions regarding growing conditions in general
> are appreciated.
>
> John Green
> Salt Lake City, Utah

        I was curious about the difference as well. From my experience
with this plant, it doesn't matter! I've grown it in containers with my
neps and it flowered, I've grown it in 1:1 peat sand mixture sitting in
about 1/2 inch of water, and it flowered. Both produced 'leaves' that
were heavily veined, however the ones grown as epiphytes produced ones
that were several times larger.

        So, from my experience, it doesn't seem to matter if it's grown as
a terrestrial or as an epiphyte. I grow both in terrariums with
relatively high humidity, so it may be in yor case that a higher humidity
is needed. From my experience, this is a pretty easy Utric. I've grown
plants to flowering size within about 4 months. Since it's the flowers
I'm interested in, I don't care too much about the size of the leaves.

        Hope that's of some help.

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences