Utricularia vulgaris dying?! Why?!

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 09:32:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:32:31 +0100
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Utricularia vulgaris dying?! Why?!

Hello list!

I recently built a new aquarium to accomodate some aquatic CPs. After
waiting a few weeks, I first put a Utric. vulgaris cutting in it. In the
1st days, it grew slowly... but suddenly, in a matter of days, the plant
grew all over the water surface and covered it all, sending lots of lateral
branches. It also started to send lots of flower buds. All was ok... until
a few days ago, I don't know why, they started to slow down and almost all
the plants died, including the juvenile leaves. All the flower buds died.
This happened very fast.
Anyone knows what could be causing this? Maybe this happened because of an
overcrowded population of Utricularia?
I also have some Aldrovanda in there, and luckily, it seems ok. It's
growing relatively fast and sending various lateral branches (however, in
the last days, its behaviour changed. It's not dying, though)
Should I take the Aldro out of those evil waters?
What's happening with my Utric? I thought it was an easy plant, a weed!

Thanks and good growing!
Miguel