Re: Death of some myths

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 19:33:54 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:33:54 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Death of some myths

----------

> So far they are in an unheated
> greenhouse with outdoor temps of 85F in the day to 65F-60F at night. I've
> been leaving the doors open and the temps inside stay approximately the
> same as the temps outside. I've made posts earlier here called Scare
> Stories and one of them was that if the temp varries 15F or more then your
> Nepenthes will go into shock and die. I've gotten replies that all those
> statments were true.
> Mine, however, live in temp variances of 20F-25F and no wilting, no
> necrosis, no disease, no infestations, just vigorous growth. In
> ruffly 3 weeks time they have went from 5 leaves to 7 leaves with more
> well on their way and are producing traps like there's no tomarrow. I
> guess it's safe to say that at least N. bicalcarata is an exception to
> this rule.
> They also went through humidity fluxuations from 50%-100% with no
> ill affects and I repotted them.

Robert,

You have described almost perfect conditions for most lowland Nepenthes. I
have found that all Neps love a 20 degree F temp fluctuation between day and
night. They DO NOT like hot night temps, a problem I have to contend with
living in Florida. Humidity can fluctuate down to 50 percent as long as it
is for a short time. Do not subject them to a constant 50 percent, or you
will eventually have dead bicalcaratas. During the winter, my bicalcaratas
are subjected to night low temperature in the mid 50's F, but the day temp
goes up to 80-85 degrees F., relative humidity during the day will hover
around 70 percent. These mid 50's night temps. are only when a cold front
moves through, and will only last for a few days. "Warm" winter nights are
typically 58-62 degrees F. They grow slower during the winter(also due to
shorter daylight hours), but definitely do not curl-up their toes and die.
At 48 degrees F., I've had cold damage to N. gracilis and N. rafflesiana,
but none to N. bicalcarata or N. ampullaria. This was a one night mistake,
and not repeated.

Also, for those living in the northern hemisphere (spring), this is a good
time to repot lowlanders, as the days are getting longer and warmer. In
fact, all Nepenthes are showing growth spurts right now (mid April), and
some of my highland species (N. sanguinea) are still benefiting from the
cool nights and the lengthening daylight hours--they are producing their
best pitchers of the year. This is also the time of year that basal shoots
appear with the greatest frequency, and the old vine goes into upper pitcher
mode, and, if we're lucky, will flower by the end of summer. Just some
observations from another Nepenthes grower.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida