Re: underdeveloped pitcher

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 10 1999 - 10:28:00 PDT

Date:    Sat, 10 Apr 99 13:28 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: underdeveloped pitcher

Dear Steve,

> ... problem is that the pitcher on the second plant began growing
> normally, but the hood failed to develop fully. It did not grow
> straight and tall as the other did, but instead it was thin, curvy,
> and the hood did not grow any larger than a pinhead. The two plants
> are in the same pot and obviously have the same lighting, water, and
> temperature conditions. There are no other signs of problems on
> either plant.

   Well, I have found that most of the time when a plant is
growing like it is because of: 1) insect damage or 2) the
plant isn't getting enough water.
   Now, I realize that you said they are both in the same
conditions, but maybe the ailing plant doesn't have quite enough
roots for it's size? Or perhaps something damaged the leaf
before it even started growing out the the winter bud. Maybe
the rhizome has a borer? It's a fairly long list of what might
be wrong. Maybe it's nothing, but a mistake by the plant...
   Check for bugs on the leaves. Look at the soil around the
rhizome for scat of borers (looks kinda like muddy saw dust).
If you see nothing, wait for the next leaf. If it's still
messing up, I would repot the plant and take the opertunity
to do a more through exam.

Dave Evans