Re: red VFT's all look alike

From: Mark T. Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 16:36:15 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:36:15 +1000
From: "Mark T. Bachelor" <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: red VFT's all look alike

>What have we become! I know Pings can all look similar and Utrics need
>a hand lens to tell some apart from others but VFT trigger hairs as the
>only difference between cultivars? Insane!

This may seem a small point to most people on the list but for those of us
in Australia where the government granted a PBR on the locally produced
Royal Red, the differences between these two cultivars means that one can be
sold by anyone and the other can only be sold those who have permission to
do so.

For this reason none of my red VFTs are Royal Reds. The other red forms are
free unjustified controls on how excess plants are disposed of, however some
have not shown enough difference from Royal Red to permit nurseries stocking
them to sell them, even though they were produced before Royal Red and so
they are given away.

It is the Federal government's decision, despite protests, to grant a PBR on
a naturally occuring form of a plant that is insane.

Regards

Mark T Bachelor
Biology Technican
Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676
South Yarra, Victoria, Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
Australia 3141

National Science Week, STAV Family Day Co-ordinator
Lab Techs' Branch of STAV, South Yarra & Moorabbin Regional Rep.