RE: Bog Construction

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 06:14:27 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:14:27 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Bog Construction

Hi Kit,

>1. It seemed that the mix "felt right" when I used 4 50# bags
>of sand to each 3.8 cu ft of peat. Does this sound about right?

It sounds close enough. For future reference, I use a bucket to measure out
each ingredient: 1 bucket of sand, 1 bucket of peat. I have hardcloth wire
nailed to a wood frame that I pass the milled sphagnum moss through to break
up the clumps.

>2. The mix is beautifully uhm...fluffy. Do I want it this way or
>do I want to firm it down before planting?

It will compact naturally.

>3. I'd planned on putting 2" of dried sphagnum moss on top. Is
>that correct?

I would avoid doing this. The dried moss may have spores in it that will
sprout. I'm pulling out live sphagnum from my bogs because it overgrows the
smaller species. Also, the sand gives added support to the bigger plants,
especially the Sarracenia.

David
Atlanta