Re: Nepenthes distribution... Invasive citrus too

From: Michael Hunt (mph101@surfree.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 14:30:56 PST

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:30:56 -0500
From: "Michael Hunt" <mph101@surfree.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes distribution... Invasive citrus too

Oh no Cliff!

     Off the subject, but citrus is a huge problem as a invasive in Florida.
Why its not posted along with Punk Trees, Brazillian Pepper, Australian
Pine, etc can only be guessed at. Most likely because of the importance to
the states economy. But make no doubts about it. Citrus is a invasive plant,
that stangles the wetlands and dry uplands through out central and south
Florida. Its sad to see China Citrus smothering out a slow growing Cypress
dome, yet common. Even freezes don't kill the roots and they rebound at a
good clip. The freezes just kill the marketable portions to the farmer to
make it unprofitable to wait for the tree to rebound, if it ever would as a
fruit producer.
     Maybe its a good thing Nepenthes never mingled with the native species
of South America or Haw. They then might be considered a invasive and kill
out native rare species of plants unique to certain habitats.
    Another maybe, Dionaea could have spread through the eons of time to
the north some and towards the south had man never shown up? But while I'm
happy that Dionaea survives in panhandle Florida, and most likely not a
threat to native species I don't think in anyway its a good idea for this
sort of introduction.
     Many others as well as myself know of areas in North Carolina that used
to have transplanted populations of Sarracenia from the gulf coast. They did
well, and I would bet they still exist if not paved over. While excellent
to see, maybe not best for the order of things. These plants are not rapid
growing and very specific in habitat requirements unlike common pest
invasives