blooming pitchers

From: Nita Stull (nstull@pcninc.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 13:02:41 PST

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:02:41 -0800
From: "Nita Stull" <nstull@pcninc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: blooming pitchers

After winter dormancy, I cut back all the pitchers on one plant (in
a 3" pot, 2-3 yrs old?) and it's now putting out a flower. I
understand that the incoming pitchers won't open until the flower
has been pollinated or has withered away. I have another pitcher
plant, younger, and it is putting out new pitchers, some of which
are opening, and no flower of any kind.

Does age determine flowering? or does dormancy? Both plants
enjoyed the same dormancy period, but I did not cut back the younger
plant (as it did not have many pitchers to begin with).

Thank you in advance for an answer.

Also, thanks for all the informative responses about the Nepenthes
soil/fungus gnats.

Nita Stull Professional Consulting Network, Inc. San Francisco
NStull@pcninc.com http://www.PCNinc.com 415.777.4321