Re: Pine Barrens

From: EdwardK674@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 14:29:42 PST

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:29:42 EST
From: EdwardK674@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pine Barrens

Hi all,
It depends on what type of cp's your looking for, purple pitcher plants are
visable although not in flower right now. To see them in flower I've always
had good luck around May and June, sometimes even a little later. To see D.
rotundafolia and D. filiformis (please excuse any typos I'm very tired right
now) the plants are usually up and lookin nice by the end of April,
rotundafolia is usually out of dormancy earlier than filiformis. I've found
various bladderworts in bloom from July through Sept. If your there in the
fall, various wild orchids can frequently be found with or near the sundews.
The best way to find some good spots is to get some maps of the state lands
and explore around a little. Most of the heavily traveled sections have been
stripped of pitcher plants. I found a couple of out of the way spots that had
patches of rotundafolias about 1-2 ft in diameter. I've hiked through some
areas in the fall and had to clean some seed pods out of the laces of my boots
(Drosera sp.). Good luck and good viewing.
Ed Kowalski
edwardk674@aol.com