_P. macroceras subsp. nortensis_

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 09:51:16 PST

Date:          Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:51:16
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       _P. macroceras subsp. nortensis_

Dear all,

A while ago, I answered a request by A. Ceska on this list concerning
the validity of _Pinguicula macroceras subsp. nortensis_. I wrote
that the name was illegitimate because of a missing type in the
protologue ("Carnivorous Plants of the West" Vol. 2, p. 19. by H.
Rondeau, 1995).

However, at that time I was unaware of a publication in
"International Pinguicula Study Group Newsletter" Vol. 8, pp. 3-8
(1997), which contains a latin description and a type reference.

The protologue of _P. m. n._ is, therefore, not the 1995 publication
but the 1997 publication, which alone contains the required type
data. The name is legitimate and valid since 1997. The respective
entry in the cp database will be changed accordingly in the next
update.

Thanks to Juerg Steiger, who provided the missing information.

Kind regards
Jan