Re: Growing media

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 16:03:50 PST

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:03:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing media

Robert,

> Another difficulty.
>
> I'm having trouble getting the following:
>
> 1) Long fiber sphagnum moss
> 2) Lava rock
> 3) Vermiculite
> 4) Perlite
> 5) Charcoal
>
> I tried ordering from bmi, but I have to be a business to become a
> customer. Is there any other place I could order these media from?
> I'm looking for 3-4 cu. ft. bags of the stuff. I could get it at the
> nurseries here, but they only sell these little quart size bags costing
> between $5-$10 a bag. Litterally quart size!
>
> Robertivore

        Where do you live?! This stuff is readily available in large
quantities in North America at most nurseries, except for the long-fibred
sphagnum and possibly lava rock. Check out places like Wal-Mart (if
you're near one). They may not have huge bags of it, but they do sell
cheap.

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences