Re: One last question concerning Aldrovanda cultutre...

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sat Feb 27 1999 - 13:41:00 PST

Date:    Sat, 27 Feb 99 16:41 EST
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: One last question concerning Aldrovanda cultutre...

Dear Migel,

> what about light? Can I use two ordinary cool-white fluorescent lamps? Or
> should it be grow lights or full spectrum lights?
> In a site about aquariums, they say that cool-white bulbs don't make it,
> they slow the growth. However, in another site about CPs, they say that
> cool-white bulbs are OK, and there's no need to buy expensive full spectrum
> lights.
> Now, Aldrovanda is included in both the categories, it's a CP and it's
> aquatic, so I don't know what to do!

   In this case, you should think about it's environment. Aldrovanda
lives in and under water so you should use the type of light that people
who grow plants under water use. The CP part of the equation is more
related to the type of chemicals it likes in it's environment. Nearly
all plants growing indoors, in pots, in soil, will enjoy the same type
of lighting (that being cool white). It doesn't have to do with them
being CP's. Some plants are more specific too large for tubes.
   I personally don't use just cool-white tubes, but mix grow lights
and cool white. I feel that I get better results, even if the plants
don't feel anything, since the grow bulbs have a more red and blue
while the cool-whites are more yellow. I like the way my plants look
in this mixed light much better than in yellowish light (which looks
rather dull to me no matter how tubes I use). BTW, I don't grow any
plants in water so I can't recommend a specific type of bulb for your
needs, but this should help you decide what is important for your
plants.

Dave Evans