Synonyms

From: Paul Temple (Paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 12:58:32 PST

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:58:32 +0000
From: Paul Temple <Paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Synonyms

Probably a question for Jan (Hi Jan! Hope life is good.) but anyone
else who knows can answer. It's partly with regard to Jan's electronic
World List of CP on the WEB and partly as a general query regarding the
rules of naming plants.

Question: If a plant name, for instance one with a delightful
pseudo-latin name the Victorians were so attracted to, differs (in name
only) from the published plant synonyms only by the presence or absence
of a final duplicated letter, does this make it a new synonym? For
example, would chelsoni (with one i) and chelsonii (with two i's) count
as the same or different synonyms? And if they are the same, why?

Sorry to ask such a boring question but I really do want to know!

And for pineckety readers, yes I know the apostrophe (e.g. i's) is
misplaced but try writing the sentence otherwise!!!

Regards

Paul