Utrics and Halogen lights

From: Chris Hind (chind@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 17:32:18 PST

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:32:18 PST
From: "Chris Hind" <chind@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Message-Id: <aabcdefg558$foo@default>
Subject: Utrics and Halogen lights

> > Probably due to low light levels, or simply shock from >movement.
> > I'll bet if you leave it for a while, some of the low-light
> > diatoms will start to grow, although they're not as bothersome as
> >No, no, the light level is rather high! I'm using a halogen lamp!
> >container is completely closed, so it can be the lack of CO2 or
> >something... I don't know. What I know is that they've been growing
> >for
> >more than two months in these conditions, and the Utrics thrive
> the
> >algae don't even appear.
> Yeah i noticed the same thing. I got some unknown aquatic utric at the
> lacps meeting in december and it got lots of algae in it when exposed
> daylight but thrived under a halogen reading light i have. If i
> correctly halogen is rich in red light? Most CPs dont like halogen.
> Currently im trying to get the stuff growing in my CP water trays, >
it'd be nice to make the most of the space i have.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Tue Jan 02 2001 - 17:31:55 PST