Re: Consan 20

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 10:55:46 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:55:46 EST
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Consan 20

In a message dated 2/19/99 11:39:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cp@opus.hpl.hp.com writes:

<< Can anyone supplement my meager testimonial with experience of their own?
 Has anyone else tried this product? Is it safe on my Sarrs.? On my utrics?
 Any more testimonial info would be appreciated, as always. >>

I've used this product for about 3 years and have had good luck with it. It
seems fine on any of the harder leaf cp such as Sarracenia and Nepenthes.
I've also used it on Drosera capensis and D. binata species successfully, but
use caution on very delicate plants. You do need to use it as often as it
says since this compound breaks down fairly quickly.

Incidentally, the chemical used in this stuff is a quanternary ammonium
compound ("quats") and is found in many commercial disinfectancts. It tends
not to be as corrosive as bleach, yet very effective.

If you happen to have an Amway distributor handy, they carry a product
identical to Consan 20, and it's a bit cheaper. The concentration is the
same. It's called Amway Germicidal Concentrate (WE-8996). Be sure to get
this one and not any of the germicidal cleaners. This stuff contains no
detergents.

I've also had good luck with sulfur based fungicides on Sarracenia and
Cephalotus.

Jeff

Jeff