N. merrilliana

From: Michael Feddersen (bd670@scn.org)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 15:44:40 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:44:40 -0800 (PST)
From: bd670@scn.org (Michael Feddersen)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. merrilliana

Hello,
For soils of Nepenthes and especially the ones on Mt. Legaspi, Mindinao,
Philippines it was a type of laterite. It's appearance and consistancy was
a crumbly rusty soil simular to crushed pumice but it held more water. The
Nepenthes that were growing in this were either in it straight or growing
in a small crack in the soil along with some other plant, shrub or tree{
Punta Tugus} It's easier to say that tree than spell it.
Anyways I found then along stream or not in the open or the tree as a vine support and a little shade. Sunburn was also visible but when i found ripe seed onthe
flower spikes these were at the tops of short trees 7meter along a 10meter
embankment. Fully eposed to the sun. But being and embankment they did not
face direct south. The leaves redden up nicely with the added light.
Also as for the previous misconceptions that the plants were epiphytic the
appearance along embankments where they were common only had the tops growing
up into the scrub and trees overhanging the road giving the appearance
of being epiphytic. A closer examination of several kilometers of these plants
found the base of it firmly rooted in the ground. It was rather difficult
to distinguish between the vines of Nepenthes and other plant when both
have defoliated.
The soils tested higher in iron, magnetic and stightly acid. Also they were
defecient in N,P and K.
A loose well drained soil slightly acid[the iron in the laterite lowers the ph]
should do well. These plants are tropical as in night temps not below 75-80 degrees F for any long term. I ought to know I slept there.
Truly,
Tom Kahl/Nepenthes Club