Re: Aquatic CP's

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 17:16:01 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:16:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Aquatic CP's

Hi Nile,

        If you don't have a container prepared for the Aldovanda
already, it probably won't survive. At least that's been the opinion of
most people. There was a recent CPN issue devoted to Aldrovanda and its
cultivation. Basically, take a large container with a large surface
area to depth ratio (ie: shallow, kiddie wading pools are ideal), fill
with some peat moss and water and allow it to age and then introduce
some other aquatic plants (eg: Typha) which the Aldrovanda need for
protection against algal accumulation on themselves and for further
conditoining of water (nutrient uptake, etc.). Anyways, after a few
months outdoors, the pool will then be ready to introduce Aldrovanda
into it. So sorry to say, but your plants may not survive if they're
being shipped in the next couple of weeks. Other hints, they apparently
appreciate some amount of hardness in the water (via addition of CaCO3)
and high CO2 concentrations (the aquatic plant people have all sorts of
neat tricks for increasing this in aquaria and ponds).

        As for how to prepare your outdoor pond for aquatic utrics, I
just mix about a handful of peat for every cup of water, so expand this
formula as needed. The peat will quickly acidify the water and turn it
a lovely coppery brown colour. Good luck!

Hapy growing,

Chris

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, nile smith
wrote:

> nile smith
> nxs@postmark.net
>
> Hi List,
>
> I just ordered some Aldrovanda and I really
> want it to survive. The last Aldrovanda I
> had slowly died over a period of a couple
> weeks. I would appreciate any advise I could
> get on keeping Aldrovanda alive in cultivation.
>
> Also, I've got a small pond on my property,
> about 12' x 15' x 5' deep. Does anybody
> know how I could acidify it to the point
> where it will allow aquatic CP's to survive
> in it? Thanks,
>
> Nile Smith

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences