Re: Re: Hybrids & variety confusion

From: Dave (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 16:40:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 15 Feb 99 19:40 EST
From: Dave                                 <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Hybrids & variety confusion

Dear Neil,

> Another problem we seem to have at the moment is the question over
> wether long standing variety's are what we thought they were, for example,
> is S. Maxima a seperate variety, or just a large form of S. Flava, common
> in the wild?

   Wait a minute here. I want to clarify this one for those who didn't
read CPN last year. _Sarracenia flava var. maxima_ **does not** refer
to the size of the plant. This is a common mis-perception. In this
case, var. maxima refers to a variety of the species _S. flava_ that
doesn't have red veining or red splotches. You could have a very short
S.flava that fits this description and it will still be S. flava var.
maxima, growing next to a much taller (and larger) plant with red
coloration and it will not be maxima.
   Other examples include _Nepenthes maxima_. This species is not
known for it's size--This has nothing to do with the name.

Dave Evans