1.Thrip control & 2.the S. rubra complex

From: David Bradley (sundew@mitmania.net.au)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 03:49:21 PST

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:49:21 +1100
From: "David Bradley" <sundew@mitmania.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: 1.Thrip control & 2.the S. rubra complex

Dear all
        I have a problem with the dreaded thrips on a few of my carnivorous
plants, growing in Australia. What I am wanting to know is what chemicals
would be safe to use on Darlingtonia californica & Heliamphora nutans?
        Some of the ideas so far have been Folimat, Malathion, Confidor & Rogor.
The Rogor I am led to believe is poison on Nepenthes & possibly the live
Sphagnum.
        Any ideas on what is tried & true would be most appreciated.
        Another piece of advice I am after is with the Sarracenia rubra
subspecies. I have read that it can take a few years once one repots a
specimen for it to send out the proper Autumn pitchers, at the original
size. Is this what other S. rubra growers have experienced? I am also
wanting to know what various forms of S. rubra ssp. alabamensis do exist in
cultivation. Is it true that there is a red form of the otherwise type
golden green colour?
        Thanks for any help that anyone can provide, either on the listserve or my
email address.

Nathan J. Clemens

sundew@mitmania.net.au