Re: Help! Foam turned to goo!

From: TED HADLEY (hadleyt@usa.net)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 18:08:59 PST

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:08:59 -0800
From: "TED HADLEY" <hadleyt@usa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help! Foam turned to goo!

Hi All,

Thanks much for your advice about how to get the foam, glue, and goo
cleaned up. Here is what I ended up doing:

1. mineral spirit paint thinner. No effect. 2. Acetone + lots of
rubbing. Works, but only barely.

Then I sent a request the The Gemmary's forum, where you all kindly offered
some ideas.

1. Try xylene. I didn't have any, but I did have toluene, which is a
comparable solvent. This had an odd effect. While it did not remove
anything (in fact had no noticeable effect), it DID make the residual glue
much less sticky.

2. Paint stripper. All I had was Jasco Paint Remover, which is primarly
methylene chloride, a nasty solvent which almost dissolves wood. :-(
So, I used some Home Depot lacquer thinner that was sitting around.
According to the label, it is methyl ethyl ketone, methanol, and toluene.
This stuff was, as one would expect, somewhat a cross between the acetone
(which is actually dimethyl ketone) and the toluene. Little obvious
removal, but continued to make the residue even less sticky.

3. Freezing combined with steel wool. Well, now that the toluene was
removing all of the "sticky" from the glue, I just tried the steel wool
directly, without freezing. This worked great. Almost all of the glue and
goo is now gone.

Thanks much for your suggestions. I will keep them all in mind should the
problem arise again.

Take care,

tedh.
--------
Ted A. Hadley, Senior Mineralogist hadleyt@usa.net
Mineralogical Investigation Services Sunnyvale, CA 94087 USA