P. Moranensis overwintering

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 12:31:36 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:31:36 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: P. Moranensis overwintering

David wrote:

I also have a question about P. moranensis. I removed the pot from a tray
of water maybe 1 to 2 months ago to try to induce winter dormancy. I have
watered the pot occasionally, maybe once every 2 weeks for fear that the
plants would dry out too much. They are still catching insects voraciously,
and I'm concerned that I'm not giving them the winter dormancy they need.
Any suggestions? Should I get tough!

My experiences with P. moranensis is pretty straightforward. During the
winter months my plants are kept OUT of the water trays, the medium being
kept slightly damp. I think a good 'barometer' for judging this species is
the size of the leaves being produced. If your plants are still producing
larger 'summer' foliage and are catching prey than just keep the soil wet as
usual. When the rosettes begin to tighten up and produce much smaller
succulent growth than start holding back on the watering until the compost
reaches a state JUST BARELY DAMP to the touch. As with all things in nature
things don't always behave like the text books say. Last year my Mexican
pings produced the trademark large leaves until the end of January then
started on their winter rosettes in early February!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@en.com