Re: Use of CP's in medicine

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 07:42:38 PST

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:42:38 +0800
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Use of CP's in medicine

Drosera have a long history of perceived medicinal virtue.
I have a few recipes from the 16th and 17th centuries
which are quite amusing, so I'll share them with you. "Rosa
Solis" (dew of the sun) refers to Drosera rotundifolia.

"Rosa-solis strengtheneth and nourisheth the body, especially
if it be distilled with wine and that liquor made thereof which
the common people do call Rosa Solis.
If any be desirous to haue the saide drinke effectuall for the
purposes aforesaid, let them lay the leaues of Rosa Solis in the
spirit of wine, adding thereto Cinnamom, Cloues, Maces, Ginger,
Nutmegs, Sugar, and a fewe grains of Muske, suffering it to stand
in a glasse close stopt from the aire, and let in the sunne by the
space of ten daies more: then straine the same and keepe it for
your vse."

from _The Herball or Generall Historie of Plants_ by John Gerard,
1597 (I think we can safely assume that's out of copyright :-)

and

"Take of the hearbe Rosa-solis, gathered in Iulie, one gallon, pick
out the black moates from the leaues; Dates, half a pound; Cinamon,
Ginger, Cloues, of each one ounce; grains, half an ounce; fine
sugar, a pound and a half; red Rose-leaues, green or dryed, foure
handfuls; steep all these in a gallon of good Aqua Composita, in a
glass close stopped with wax, during twentie daies: shake it well
together once every two daies. Your Sugar must be powdred, your spices
bruised onely, or grossely beaten; your Dates cut in long slices, the
stones taken away. If you add two or three grains of Ambergreece, and
as much Musk, in your glasse, among the rest of the Ingredients, it
will haue a pleasant smell. Some adde the Gum Amber, with corall and
pearle finely powdred, and fine leaf-gold. Some vse to boil Ferdinando
buck in Rose-water, till they haue purchased a faire, deep crimson
colour: and when the same is cold, they colour their Rosa-solis and
Aqua Rubea therewith."

from _Delightes for Ladies_ by Sir Hugh Plat, 1609

The amber, coral, pearls and gold were believed to have medicinal value
and the reference to "black moates" is of course instruction to remove
all the dead flies before making your drink (yuk!)

also

"...in those Cordial Waters where the Ros Solis, or Rosa Solis is
used, which is an Herb not always to be found, and will not keep
above a day or two after 'tis gather'd, this I say may be distilled
by itself, and kept to use with other Waters at pleasure; putting
of this such a proportion as would have been produced from the
quantity directed, of the Plant, in the Receipt, if it had been
distill'd with the other Herbs: and so of any other Herb that is
hard to come by."

from _The Country Housewife and Lady's Director_ by Richard
Bradley ,1727

I'm trying to build up enough in vitro material to make a pint or
two of this - I'll let you all know how it turns out if/when I try
it (I just hope it's better than the Ta"tmio"lk I tried a couple of
years ago :)

        Happy growing,

                Peter

mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk : http:www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/cchome.htm
Cambrian Carnivores,17,Wimmerfield Cr.,SWANSEA,SA2 7BU, UK : tel 01792 205214
Carnivorous Plants,Seeds & Tissue Culture Kits - mailorder,export & wholesale