Re: Potting Re-potting CPs

From: aquilla2@juno.com
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 19:17:58 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:17:58 -0800
From: aquilla2@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Potting Re-potting CPs

Kelly,
        I use a porous type landscape weed block fabric to line my pots. I
just cut a circle larger than the pot and push my sand peat medium into
the pot. Then transplant. Trim, with scissors, any fabric that sticks
over the top The material will not break down, and makes removing
everything easy, when you transplant the next time, as you can lift
everything out of the pot. You will not lose any mediunm out of the
bottom of your pot. I have also used activated charcoal (granular) on
occasion mixed with the medium and havn't noticed any pros or cons.
Remember, that the carbon is only as good as it's capacity to absorb
impurities or what ever. then it is just another inert ingrediant in
your medium. Hope that this helps.

Michael A Sankovich

>Topic No. 8
>
>Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:48:55 -0800
>From: "Kelley, Ian" <IKelley@littler.com>
>To: "'cp@opus.hpl.hp.com'" <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: Repotting CP's
>
>Getting ready to repot plants - I want to put something in the bottom
>of
>the pot to improve drainage and prevent the medium from slowly
>dribbling
>out the holes in the bottom of the pot.
>
>I have lots of pots in which long-fibered sphagnum has been used, but
>it
>can smell a bit mulchy as it breaks down in the bottom of the pot.
>
>In the Home Depot today I saw a sack of horticultural charcoal sold
>for
>just this purpose. Has anyone used this? I like the idea that the
>filtering action of the charcoal will help to keep the medium
>"fresh",
>but am worried about effects on ph or unforseen considerations.....
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ian
>San Francisco, CA

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]