Accursed plant predators!

From: Kelley, Ian (IKelley@littler.com)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 15:33:35 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:33:35 -0800
From: "Kelley, Ian" <IKelley@littler.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Accursed plant predators!

I put my windowsill plants outdoors for the winter, on my fire escape in
my urban neighborhood.

Recently, something has been coming and tearing up the pitchers pretty
good. The Dioneaea and Droseraea (sp?) are all ok, but the Sarrs. are
pretty torn up.

I'm not real concerned, as most of the leaves are brown and at any rate
they will be safely inside during the growing season. Mostly, my
curiosity is piqued. It does not seem like the "attacker" was intent on
getting at the contents of the pitchers, as much as the pitchers
themselves. The tall, splindly ones seemed hardest hit.

Given the locale, I figure the short list of suspects to be :

a cat
a bird
a mouse
a racoon

in descending order of neighborhood sightings. Any cat, bird owners
with relevant insight? Not a real critical growth issue (thanks, BTW,
for the replies on the horticultural charcoal thread) but a curiosity
nonetheless.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ian