Re: introduction and a question

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 10:22:07 PST

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:22:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: introduction and a question

Hi Will,

> My question is this. My unknown Sundew and Nepenthes were given to me
> by a friend who picked them up at a local nursery. According to the
> enclosed literature, they were both propagated by tissue culture. They
> are potted in 3 inch (7.5 cm) pots and they have those little plastic
> cup "dome" tops over them.

        Sound's like Gubler's to me.

> Going by past experience, plants that I've
> left in the domes always fungus.

        Good plan so far. See below though.

> I popped the dome off and checked the
> plants a few hours later. The mucous droplets had "evaporated" from the
> Sundew and the Nepenthes had started to wilt. I quickly placed the dome
> on them and placed them in a window receiving southern exposure
> sunlight. The sundew has wilted some, but the droplets are reforming,
> but the Nepenthes is starting to look "burnt" on the edge of the leaves,
> i.e., it looks like it is dying. Any suggestions will be greatly
> appreciated.

        Well, these plants have been grown in very 'soft' conditions, ie:
extremely high humidity. The leaves don't have a chance to toughen up and
will, as you've experienced, wilt when exposed to regular air humidity.
You are right though in that the domes aren't beneficial as they will lead
to fungus. So, what to do? First, take them away from the south window.
If they're not already dead, they soon will be baked in the heat. Place
them in a well lit area which is out of direct sunlight. Secondly, leave
the dome on and slowly remove it over a period of a couple of weeks so
that it slowly becomes accustomed to your climate and indoor conditions.
Once acclimated to your humidity, then you can gradually move it closer to
the window and direct sunlight.

        The moral of the above? Plants respond poorly to rapid changes in
their environment, so care must be taken to account for this. Hope this
helps!

> Thanks,
> Will Gorum
> wgorum@softdisk.com