Byblis conversations

From: Brian Cochran (briancochran@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 08:15:32 PST

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:15:32 PST
From: "Brian Cochran" <briancochran@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Byblis conversations

I've seen some questions here about Byblis giganteas and thought I'd
offer some input.

As young plants, good humidity and moderate temperatures are best. I
keep mine under clear plastic cups with small holes punched in them
under fluorescent lights with temps in the 50 to 70F range. I also keep
them moister than I once wrote about and have had less losses with the
seedlings.

I start them around mid-November. Once they begin to outgrow the small
cups I transplant them in larger pots and by March or April move them
outside.

When I say outside -- this is for those living in areas with moderately
high relative humidity (i.e. the East, Northwest)
Here, they have also experienced late frosts with no damage.
I wouldn't let them freeze, but I've even had some plants that
were a few seasons old freeze and come back. They're really tough
plants once you get them established.

By Summer, they'll take as much heat as the Sarracenias (as Jay
mentioned.) Also, at this time the soil should look dry on top but
be moist below. I accomplish this by top watering when young and by
Summer switch to bottom watering (tray) but never let them sit in water.

I had a devastating move to Colorado this past year and lost most of my
Byblis plants in the move. I've now started more and oddly they seem to
grow well in my highland chamber. I don't have any experience growing
them outdoors here, but I don't think they'd like the low humidity here.

Brian