CP outside in the Midwest

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 21:31:13 PST

Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:31:13 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP outside in the Midwest

  Hi everyone,

  Joe from Lincoln, Nebraska here. My two cents worth on putting CP outside
in the warm months. I think it depends on the individual plant you have as to
how well it succeeds. I have had VFTs outside and one will do great and
another will not. I tried S. flava and S. purpurea venosa a few years ago
and they thrived, but last year I tried a S. flava(different plant) and a S.
leucophylla and the flava died and the leucophylla put out non-pitchered
leaves only. I guess you can only figure out by trying.
  Here in Nebraska, you have to deal with wind as well as heat, so it can be
hard to keep the plants humid, even sitting in trays and misting. The
purpurea, being stout and lower to the ground, probably did well because of
that compared to the taller pitcher plants. You may have to harden them slowly
and start in shade before gradually giving them sun( I think Susan said that).
I don't recommmend buying plants to grow outside if you don't have the
facilities to put them elsewhere to grow if things go bad. Unless you don't
mind taking a risk, of course.
  In any case, good luck.

  Regards,

  Joe