Re: Moss on pots

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 09:48:22 PST

Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:48:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Moss on pots

Hi Jeff,

> A question for everyone. Overtime, all pots of CP grown in a
> greenhouse, or under lights begin to get a thick moss growing on the
> media. My observations have been that many plants, particularly D.
> capensis and VFT's start decreasing in growth when this moss gets too
> thick. Has this been others experience also?

        Yes, this has been my experience as well, especially with young
plants, specifically Drosera spp.

> Has anyone experimented with keeping the moss plucked off, or using an
> inhibiting agent of some kind? I'd love to hear others experiences.

        I just pluck the moss out occasionally to make sure that it
doesn't overwhelm the plants. Otherwise, if the plant is above moss
level, I tend to leave it alone, as it does look nice!

        I wouldn't recommend an inhibiting agent, as applied at high
enough concentrations, this could kill your plant as well as the moss.
Some say that moss growth is an indication of fertilization of the soil,
however, I do not fertilize any of my plants (other than insects) and I
know my soil ingredients are free of any nutrients which may give the moss
a boost.

        It may help to steam sterilize the peat moss before use to kill
off any moss spores, however, it seems to only prevent it for a little
while, and the smell of cooking peat is not the most pleasant!

> Jeff
> Portland, OR

Happy growing,

Chris