Piranahs and Pygmies

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 07:46:06 PST

Date: 30 Dec 98 15:46:06 +0000
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Piranahs and Pygmies

I thought 'nh' was the anglicisation of the Hispanic n tilde,
hence the name of the fish is 'piranha'. If the prospective
author of the red VFT cultivar name intends to commemorate its
piscidenticular qualities, perhaps a spell-check might prevent
subsequent embarrassment.

I noticed at the weekend that with a few of my pygmy sundews,
the leaves curl right back over the top of the plants, sometimes
intertwining with each other and completely hiding the centre of
the plant. I can't see any obvious reasons - there is no insect
damage, the plants look healthy and (unusually for me) are not
overcrowded. This doesn't seem to be a positive evolutionary
trend as the traps are upside down and relatively inaccessible to
insects, and harvesting gemmae is almost impossible. The plants
all came from Lowrie material, D pulchella red/purple 69A. Does
anyone else grow this, and have they noticed anything similar?
It seems to affect about 10-15% of the plants.

Happy New Year, NigelH