Re: D. linearis culture

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 03:20:36 PST

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 12:20:36 +0100
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. linearis culture

Hi David,

>A friend is sending me a couple of dormant D. linearis, and I would
>appreciate hearing from someone who has cultivated this drosera, either
>successfully or unsuccessfully. Since it grows in marl bogs, it's culture
>is probably different than most drosera.
>
>Thanks,
>David
>Atlanta

I've tried it from seed: they germinated rather well on pure peat and I
kept the seedlings in my terrarium on peat mixed with a small amount of
silica sand. Two of them became big enough for the exterior culture: I
transplanted one of them in a shallow pot constantly very wet in
Sphagnum moss on pure peat outside here in Genoa, where the weather is
quite warm. It grew well last spring and it began dormancy at the
beginning of summer. I put the hibernaculum in the fridge and now it's
still healthy. I transplanted the other small plant in the middle of a
meadow, in a more northern location, in a big pot full of pure peat and
buried in the soil, together with D. anglica, D. intermedia and D.
rotundifolia. All of them grew very well into the adult size. They
became dormant in september and so they are now.

Culture requirements look like those of D. anglica and alkaline conditions
seem to be not very important (it would be interesting to test the differnce).
Probably they are more important in the wild for competition reasons.

Hope this helps.
Good growing!

Filippo Tassara
Genoa, Italy