perfect nepenthes

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 13:24:08 PST

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:24:08 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: perfect nepenthes

What makes a desirable nepenthes? Of course, this is subjective, but I'll
give you what I look for.

1) pitcher size, color, shape: the bigger, more menacing and unique, the
better. Examples would be N. veitchii, N. rajah, N. aristochoides, and N.
macrovulgaris.

2) pitcher longevity: plants such as N. ampullaria, N. bicalcarata, and
N. rafflesiana come to mind. Especially if you don't fertilize or feed the
pitchers.

3) overall plant appearance: I personally like bushier growth rather than
vines. N. albomarginata and N. insignis are the only two that I have
experience with which might display this. I rather dislike the browning of
the stem on some vines, such as N. mirabilis, etc.

Having said that, is there a hybrid of the parentage:

rajah x macrovulgaris x bicalcarata x albomarginata? :)

Paul Burkhardt