Nepenthes & microbes?

From: Locsei Gabor (locsei@spike.fa.gau.hu)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 08:48:08 PST

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:48:08 +0100 (CET)
From: Locsei Gabor <locsei@spike.fa.gau.hu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes & microbes?

I have recently read an issue which referred to pitcher liquor as 'water
which houses rich communities of specialized small animals', which 'devour
trapped insects'(source: Watson, L. and Dallwitz, M.J.: The Families of
Flowering Plants... , see also http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta). In
contrary, there's an opinion that pitcher plants (s.s. species of the
genus Nepenthes) produce their own enzymes for this purpose.
I am interested in any information about this topic. It would be also
interesting to get more detailed information about the microorganisms,
enzymes and the nature of this symbiosis.

Gee